Every so often, it's good to have a little spruce up. Well I say that with what was in mind for the initial intentions, but this one has turned into pretty much a full overhaul.
To recap on what happened in last year's van update and what has happened since then is a good idea before I cover the van changes this year. In July last year I wrote the shamelessly named "Shelving Sh*t and Magnifying It" blog which provides quite an eye-opening insight into how I kind of codge-modged things together in the back of the van back when mobile detailing was new to me (I was full time unit based before 2015).
The changes I made were never going to be permanent but were a pretty good prototype for development into what I needed long term as a proper working vehicle for mobile detailing. The main two things that have remained are the shelving unit and the upright water tank, the latter of which has proved to be much more space effective especially as my work is based around quality over quantity. But those blue water butts? They probably had a better sense of belonging in a brew house or horse stables - what was I thinking?!
To start things off I needed to get some bodywork issues sorted, so it was down to Pegasus Mobile Bosyshop to come over and repaint my rear quarter panel. Based in Leamington Spa they do occasionally come over to the Black Country if there is enough work to justify their travel. I had something else for them to paint but we will leave that for further down the line, as all other things fall into place.
From there, it was down to me to strip the van out of absolutely everything in the back. At first I only planned a re-carpet and lick of paint but the rotting plywood underneath just could not stay. It would have been a shame to go to such lengths of re-carpeting everything with new material on top of wood that was quite literally breaking apart.
So a bit of a stretch on the budget as it may have been, I opted to completely replace the ply-lining. Once fitted it was then a case of making sure that things not only looked the part now in the warm months but stayed that way in the cold and damp. Craig over at The Detailing Detectives recommended me to contact House of Mada to source some insulation to install on the interior walls and ceiling to help keep the heat in during the winter; the kind chap also offered me some advice. Had I have not already purchased my choice of carpeting at this point I would have bought these from him too.
Despite this, the first thing on my agenda was to paint the shelving unit black as it was starting to look a little tatty after a year of products and water being dashed around. Before this happened, I sawed off the top side bits to allow for the unit to sit a little closer to the wall without fouling the sides of the van.
From there, Lizzy from Innovation Creations came over and fitted the new signwriting and a new design of stripes. Here I unveil the extra bit that Pegasus painted and that was a colour coded front bumper to give the van more of a sporty look. Lizzy was able to continue the stripes onto the bumper for a flowing design and also vinyl wrap the plastic tranklements that surround the front grille.
I feel that all of this comes together to show the world a much more professional image, the kind of image that I want people to think of when Detailed By Andrew springs to mind. But not only that, the better use of space means that I can now bring along my air compressor for airbrushing various bits and bobs, or use of the Vortex upholstery cleaning gun.
I'd like to give my kind thanks to everyone involved and to those that have taken the time to read this blog and support the business.